Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Rediscovering Comic Books With Stan Lee




I've watched “The Big Bang Theory” on TV for several years now.  One thing that always intrigued me was the sign in Stuart’s shop that read “One Dollar Comics.”  One dollar comics?  What kind of comic books could you buy for a dollar?  At Stan Lee’s Comikaze, my first comic book convention, I discovered that you could buy quite a lot of old comic books, some of them for as little as one dollar.  Among those were the comics I missed out on in my youth.

After my friend took me to the movie theater to see “Star Wars,” he also introduced me to “Star Wars” comic books.  Back then, the only places you could purchase comic books were the spinner racks in Liquor stores, and no respectable church attendee ever entered such places, right?  But in this as well, my love for Science Fiction and Fantasy triumphed, and I braved official scorn to peruse the spinner racks in such stores regularly.  In the process, discovered a variety of titles that, while told more simply than in movies and in books, nonetheless transported me to worlds of wonder.  The only problem?  Sometimes months went by when, for whatever reason, I couldn’t track down the latest issue of a favorite title.

During college I finally got smart, and subscribed to the comics I loved most.  But after graduation, my interest in comics waned as prices rose and the industry changed, until amid the demands of an evolving life, I forgot about them altogether.

Yes, in case you're wondering,
I am a Conan fan.
(And a Red Sonja fan,
and a King Kull fan, and...)
Since Comikaze, I’ve tracked down several comic book shops in my area.  Perhaps I suffer from EAS (Easy Amazement Syndrome), but I’ve been stunned to discover that I could plug some of the most gaping holes in my collection, and do so affordably.  I can relive the excitement of the comics I’ve held onto through the decades, and experience, for the first time, those adventures that I missed out on, because I could never find them in the shops.

I used to wonder why guys with genius level intelligence like Sheldon, Howard, Raj, and Leonard preferred comic books to novels.  After spending the day writing and researching, I sometimes lack the focus necessary to immerse myself in a novel, particularly the more demanding and challenging ones.  A comic book offers a literary alternative to TV for the fatigued brain, and reading the comics of my youth reminds me of that earlier era, when I fell in love with Science Fiction and Fantasy, and began to dream of writing my own stories. 

Given the way Stan Lee has reawakened my love for comic books, maybe someday I’ll have to write him into one of my stories.  How about Stanley, loveable handyman by day, but gruff, international crime-fighter by night?  How about A. N. Sleet, the cool visionary who always wears Raybans?  Or hey, consider Teal Sen, a caped crusader from the planet Levram?  Ooh, think of the possibilities!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment