Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

This Bob’s Big Boy Cares




I’ve had so many great experiences at Bob’s Big Boy.  When my parents lived in the house next to the church, where we cared for my dog Sport, there was a Bob’s Big Boy located on the other side of the church.  We went there after church on Sunday evenings, during the week, for dinners, desserts, or even just a mug of cocoa.  Bob’s Big Boy was a bigger chain then, and I remember going to lots of different Bob’s restaurants with family and church friends, and eating lots of great food.

A few years ago, it struck me that I hadn’t visited a Bob’s Big Boy in a long time.  So we looked them up, and started going again.  Sometimes we had a nice meal, while other visits proved less pleasant.  Usually, this had less to do with the quality of the food and more to do with the attitude of the staff.  One time, when a friend asked if she could get a salad with less yellow lettuce, the waitress responded, “You want to go into the kitchen with me?  I’ll show you: it’s all like that!”  That’s the problem with a chain: a few poorly run restaurants can ruin you on the entire chain.  But I liked their food so much that this time, I decided to persevere with them.  After all, they weren’t located next door to me any more.  In fact, the closest one was an hour away.  So the occasional journey to a Bob’s was worth looking forward to.


Two of the Bob’s restaurants I’ve visited in the past few years have closed, but one still remains.  It’s located in El Cajon, California.  Most of the times we’ve been there, we’ve had pleasant experiences.  This particular restaurant started a birthday club, which I joined.  They sent me a coupon for a free dessert during my birthday month, so as it was the last day of January, I had to visit them.  We had a great meal—the food and service were excellent—and then they surprised me with a specially made variation on their famous hot fudge cake.


If there’s a Bob’s Big Boy in your area, and like me, you have fond memories of the chain, you might want to pay your local restaurant a visit.  After all, restaurants can only stay open if customers eat there.  And if you live in the San Diego area, give the one in El Cajon a try.  Take it from me: this Bob’s Big Boy cares.

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links

No comments:

Post a Comment