Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Quirkiness of Character at Austin Zoo




As I live near the San Diego Zoo and its related Safari (formerly “Wild Animal”) Park, it may seem strange to you that I visit other zoos when I travel.  Heck, a part of me also views this trait as just one of those queer quirks of character that make me so endearing to others.  Certainly the San Diego Zoo is world-famous, and must rank among anyone’s list of important and impressive zoos.  But I find it interesting to see how other people do things, and that includes how zoo-masters (if that’s a word) arrange their parks, structure their exhibits, and select their mix of animals to show off and care for.  Thus, when the opportunity arose to visit the Austin Zoo, just a short drive outside the Texas state capitol, I opted to visit without hesitation.


The Austin Zoo’s website states that it’s main emphasis is on animal rescue, rehabilitation, and education.  I’m not exactly sure how they educate their animals, but certainly it’s a great place for schools to bring their classes.  On the day we visited, we saw several groups of children touring the zoo with their teachers and parents, and of course the kids were having a blast.  But then, no matter how old we get, or how mature we become, there’s always part of us that remains children, and can tap into the fascination we have for watching our relatives in the animal kingdom. 




Another reason I enjoyed my visit was that the Austin Zoo is so low-key.  Due to its rural location, and the fact that it’s not on most people’s “Top Ten” list, fewer people visit it.  I didn’t have to constantly look over my shoulder, wondering if I was in anyone’s way, or have to fight the crowds for a view of the animals.  No vendors roamed the tree-lined paths, hawking their food or souvenirs.  Despite the roars of the big cats, the squawking of the birds, and the visitors’ shouts, conversations, and occasional bursts of tears (Yes, I occasionally cry at zoos; don’t you?), I wandered the tree-lined paths in relative solitude, feeling as if I had the exhibits mostly to myself.


One of the things I didn’t do on my visit is ride the train, which takes visitors on a two-and-a-half mile trip around the zoo, passing animals not visible from the paths.  But I had so much fun just wandering at my own pace, that by the time the rest in my party were ready to leave, I had gotten my “zoo fix,” and felt more than satisfied with my visit.  Plus, it’s nice to leave some options unexplored for a second visit.  At least, that’s my philosophy.

Either that, or its one of my endearing character quirks.

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links

No comments:

Post a Comment