Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Texas Longhorns with Udders


A protective mother or father guards its young.
You decide.

When my wife read Saturday’s post, "Our Texas Longhorns," she informed me that I was in error, as the cow I had identified as a bull was actually a female.  But she acknowledged mine was an easy mistake to make, as Texas Longhorns did not have large udders like dairy cows.  When I look at the photograph, I don't see udders, so if she's correct, they certainly are small.  But then again, this incident highlights the fallibility of memory, as she apparently doesn't remember what we learned in the movie “Barnyard.” 

In his brilliant film, director and screenwriter Steve Oedekerk documented the everyday life of farm animals.  In so doing he illuminated the normally unobserved interactions of the domesticated species, revealed the staggering toll wrought on the bovine psyche by the callous practice of “cowtipping,” and finally proved what many of us have suspected all along: that male cows can have udders.  As Oedekerk quipped when promoting his film, “Why can’t bulls have udders?  Udders are fun!” 

So perhaps my wife is right, and the cow I identified as a male actually has small udders.  But I contend that, from its expression and demeanor, that cow is a male.  And that, as they say, is no bull.

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links
Wikipedia page for “Barnyard”

No comments:

Post a Comment