Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Butterflies of Texas

Among the items we picked up that day at the grocery store was a container of ice cream.  It was hot outside, and even though it was in an insulated bag, I had second thoughts about getting out to photograph a few cows in a field.  But the road was quiet, so my wife left the motor running, and I hurried out to snap a couple quick photographs of the cows.


As I turned back to the car, I noticed a butterfly fluttering by my legs. He alighted on a flower, flapping his wings and crawling around on the petals as he sucked the flower nectar.  Despite thoughts of softening ice cream, I took a quick photo, then bent down to take another.  

The flower really must have been giving off some prime nectar, for he didn't seem to mind my presence as I bent progressively lower, taking shots closer-up, and orientating the camera as he moved around.  He kept flapping his wings, so I had to guess at my timing, and snap quickly when I guessed his wings would be at their widest.  This was my best close-up.


That evening, I really enjoyed my ice cream.  Despite the afternoon heat, it wasn't soft at all.  So I suppose you could say I had my treat and ate it too, even if the treat wasn't cake, but ice cream on a hot day, and photographs of cows and butterflies that I'll enjoy long after I forget the flavor of the ice cream.

Now that I've mentioned it, I think I need to have a talk with my wife. It's been a while since she's made us a really nice cake.

Dragon Dave

P.S.  As best I can tell, this particular type of butterfly is called a Border Patch, or a Chlosyne Lacinia.  Personally, I prefer the first name, but then Latin was never my best language.  

Related Dragon Cache entries (other photographs of butterflies)
The Significance of Butterflies Part 1
The Significance of Butterflies Part 2

Related Internet Links (facts and photos of this butterfly's lifecycle)
Butterflies and Moths of North America

No comments:

Post a Comment