Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Wild Cat of Texas


After a day out and about, driving around and enjoying the local Texas sights, we pulled into the parking lot of our resort, grabbed our things from the car and walked toward our unit.  Suddenly my wife motioned for me to stop, pulled the camera from its case, and edged quietly toward a black cat beside the walkway.  She whispered for me to attract the cat’s attention.  “Meow!” I cried.  “Meeeeeeooouuuuwwww!”


The black cat paused, looked toward us, and allowed my wife to take a few photographs.  Then, unlike the deer, it walked slowly forward.  My wife reached down slowly, and when the cat failed to react, gently petted it.  The cat rubbed against her leg.

Then my wife tried to walk forward, but the cat kept pace, remaining solidly in her path.  Each step became a careful one, for fear of treading on it, and was rewarded by another rub of her soft, dark fur against the shins.  By the time we reached our front unit, the cat remained underfoot, and her eyes homed in on our door.  My wife reached down, gently picked her up, and moved her a few steps away. 

The cat scampered back, before I could slip the key into the lock.  So my wife carried her farther away this time, and I opened the door just enough to step inside, and kept a careful watch as my wife slipped past me.


The cat wore no collar, but seemed gentle and affectionate.  If she has no house or apartment to return to, I hope she likes deer corn. 

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment