Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, April 12, 2021

Recovered Photos

 

While going through my computer's photo library, I discovered four photos in a Recovered Photos file. They struck me as significant, so I thought I would share them with you.

I drew this first one on a trip to Florida. I had recently attended my first comics convention, and was looking to fill in some holes in my long-neglected collection. While taking time out for must-see attractions, such as Disneyworld and Gatorland, my wife and I also stopped by several comics stores. After this trip, I would reconnect with my friend Justin Ponsor. Through our dialogue, he gave me a greater appreciation for comics.

Sadly, Justin is no longer with us, coloring the comics we love. But at least he shared his love for them with me before he left. I no longer neglect my comics, and my collection is ever-growing. 



This second photo is of two ponies in a road in Dartmoor National Park. I took this during our trip to England in 2015. I did a good number of sketches that trip, including the view of Haytor from the room in our Bed & Breakfast. 

The hill, with its distinctive tor, was only a short walk away from the Moorland Hotel, where Agatha Christie stayed while writing her first published novel The Mysterious Affair at Styles. As I sketched, I imagined her hiking up that scenic hill while pondering the scenes she would write the following day.

After checking out of our B&B, we took the short drive to Haytor, and watched all the tourists hiking up that hill. Oh, and taking photos of the ponies. There were oh so many ponies that day at Haytor, far more than the two along the road in this photo.

 


This drawing helped relieve a burden I carried. It helped me fix in my mind, for all time, a place that was hugely special to me. Even if it no longer existed for me (or at least, never could), only after I drew it, could the healing begin.

 


This was a church convention, from the denomination of my youth. I only attended the event because some people asked me to accompany them. The event reminded me why I left that denomination, and why I rarely attend church anymore. 

For whatever reason, my photo library decided to save these four. Together, they encapsulate the past I've left behind, and what I carry into the future. 

Perhaps I'll leave them on my computer awhile longer.

Dragon Dave


No comments:

Post a Comment