Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, June 6, 2022

Commemorating WWII in Haworth

 


While going through my photos, these memories of our 2012 visit to Haworth made me smile. The town had recently held a WWII celebration. This shop--our last stop--showed plenty of plucky British spirit.

I particularly like this important reminder of the need to conserve during those difficult times.



Women played an important role in all aspects of British life. While men not eligible to serve in the military joined the Home Guard, Haworth women joined the Home Guard Women Auxilieries.


 

Good news buoyed the spirits in those difficult times.



Good food--when the locals could get it--also helped. I don't remember eating an ice cream cone there, but apparently I did. Well, I had just taken a long walk through the nearby countryside.

I wonder what flavor I enjoyed. Rum Raisin, perhaps?


The Bronte connection led me to Haworth. I left with a unique kind of toffees I found nowhere else (on subsequent trips to England), a beautiful picture painted by a local, and some great memories.

Dragon Dave

P.S. Read about Haworth's Home Guard in the link below:

Haworth Home Guard

No comments:

Post a Comment