Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, August 22, 2022

Usagi Yojimbo Primer

 


Three years ago at Wondercon in Anaheim, California, my wife and I attended a panel hosted by IDW Comics. Of the upcoming series they presented, one that peaked our interest, and that we still read, is Usagi Yojimbo. It's an all-ages comic in which Stan Sakai reveals interesting aspects of Japanese heritage in his own unique way. 

Usagi Yojimbo goes back decades, and has been published by several companies. Lately, I've heard rumors on the Facebook group that Stan will be taking a break from the series after the next issue. I'm sure whatever stories he wants to tell will be interesting, and that he'll return to Usagi soon.


No matter where you start, Usagi Yojimbo is always easy to get into. You may not often visit a comic shop, or have any interest in purchasing this particular issue. Still, if you've never read Usagi, I urge you to check it out. Many collected editions are available. I think you'll find Usagi Yojimbo a refreshing change, and a rewarding read.

Here's the opening scene of the current issue, in which Komori Ninja interrogate two bandits. Enjoy!







 

Although my wife and I always purchase the standard cover by Stan Sakai, a higher-priced Retailer Incentive cover is available. I particularly like the standard cover of this issue. In the print copy, the blues really stand out. 



Incidentally, an Usagi Yojimbo action figure has recently become available. Here's a photo from the Facebook group, in which one fan showed off how much he's enjoying his. If you take up my suggestion, and decide you like Usagi Yojimbo, you may wish to join the group. Like everything associated with Stan Sakai, I've found it a lot of fun.

Dragon Dave

P.S. Previews for this and other current and upcoming issues can be found at Comiclist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment