Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Thursday, October 6, 2022

New Journeys of Discovery

 

Recently, I've been ordering fewer new comics at my local comic shop. Even though I read comics regularly, some of this may reflect a reluctance to invest myself (my time, thoughts, and emotions) in new comics. Still, I think mostly this is due to publishers ending series I enjoy, producing fewer titles, and releasing issues less frequently. 

I must also admit that, with the prices of new comics rising, costs all across the board increasing, and retirement looming, I'm questioning how much I ought to be spending on new books. 

Still, I love new comics. Old comics are great. Like old novels: they're always fun to read. But new comics are just...awesome. There's nothing quite like the thrill of perusing the comic shop each week, and checking out the new arrivals. What stories might I discover? What adventures might I embark upon?

If I had the financial means, and the time, I might just read them all! But then, I wouldn't have time to read my older comics. 

(Sigh).



Lately, I've been feeling the desire to embark on new journeys of discovery. While I've read most of Brian Michael Bendis' run on Ultimate Spider-Man, I've never followed Marvel's premier series about webhead Peter Parker. I'm not nearly as familiar with Frank Miller's work as (perhaps) I should be. I read the first few issues when Star Wars returned to Marvel, but nothing since. As for Daredevil...

Can you believe that I've never read a single issue about the blind superhero? (Until now, that is).

There may come a day when the arrival of each week's new titles no longer interests me. There will likely come a day when I cannot purchase and read new comics. But until that day comes, I'll keep on the lookout for new stories that transport me to strange and wondrous places.

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment