Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, December 12, 2022

Sedona Sunrise

 

Five years ago, during our last visit to England, we stayed in a bed-and-breakfast in Harrow, where a friendly Indian couple took good care of us. The man seemed very intrigued by our explorations of his country. "I've never been to some of these places you've visited," he told me.

If, like us, he were to take a trip halfway across the world, what place would he like to visit in the United States? His first choice: Sedona, Arizona.

 


Due to the pandemic, the war in the Ukraine, and the troubled airline industry, my wife and I have elected to drive to nearby locales for our vacations. We visited Sedona twice last year, and both times, the touristy nature of the community oppressed me. But this year, I was able to see past that, and enjoy our time there. 

 


We stayed in the village of Oak Creek. Everyday, we went out for a walk. Somedays we explored the residential streets. But several times, we struck out on the walking paths surrounding Bell Rock, and walked through the arid wilderness.

 


 

Too often, and especially since March 2020, I've longed to return to England. This time, I was finally able to embrace Sedona, and view it like others do: as a place of healing and rebirth. This change of mindset allowed me to look at many things in my life differently. 

There's not just one ideal place. There's not just one path to follow. Our world offers innumerable opportunities. Explore them all!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment