Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, May 31, 2023

How Times Have Changed


Last week while I waited for my wife to have outpatient surgery, I read a short story from Kevin J Anderson's anthology War Of The Worlds: Global Dispatches. It imagined Winston Churchill in South Africa meeting a character from H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quartermain novels. 

 


I also read End Of The Line, a free short story I downloaded from Book Funnel. It concerns two immigrants trying to escape certain death in Central America by sneaking into the USA via Mexico. It's a particularly vivid portrayal of the difficulties faced by illegal immigrants, and serves as a prequel to a novel Jeff Kerr will release later this year.


 

While she had surgery, and then slept in Recovery, I read three issues of Bishop War College. For more, see my review of Bishop War College #4.

 

 

During the week, and later when my wife had to spend two nights in the hospital, I read A Contest Of Principles by Greg Cox. While Kirk oversees an election on one planet, McCoy goes missing on another. Spock follows the doctor, but gets kidnapped for his troubles. I haven't finished it yet, but it's nice to read a new novel set during the period of the original series. 

In my youth, I hunted for Star Trek books in bookstores, and comics on convenience store spinner racks. I rarely found everything I wanted, and few original novels set during the original series had been published. Now I read comics online, and can read books on my phone and kindle. Maybe I'm easily impressed, but I'm still a little in awe of how radically times have changed.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment