Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Disney Villains: Hades #1 Spotlight

 

Two decades ago, I picked up Dan Simmons' novel Ilium. His earlier novel Hyperion left me mesmerized, and I enjoyed its sequels. Yet after a hundred pages, I gave up on Ilium. I rarely start a book without finishing it, but I felt like a stranger to the story. So I set it aside for later reading.

 

First, I needed a better grounding in the Greek gods, who played a role in his book. I've since gone to school on Greek mythology. I've read nonfiction books and novels, watched documentaries, and enjoyed movies. Clash Of The Titans (both old and new), the BBC's Atlantis TV series, and Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson novels leap readily to mind.

 


 

Fans of Greek mythology should check out Disney Villains: Hades #1. While I don't recall Disney's Hercules movie, I picked it up and immediately fell under its spell. Hades, the god of the underworld, is upset. His fellow gods don't invite him to parties on Olympos. To change that, he seeks out the Furies, Medusa and her python perm, Arachne, and a musician pining for his lost love. The fanciful art is brightly colored, and the black uppercase dialogue is easy to read.

 

If you're looking for a fun, all-ages comic, Disney Villains: Hades #1 might mesmerize you too. It may even make you laugh. What have you got to lose? It's unlikely to transform you into stone!



 


As for me, I think it's time I put Dan Simmons' novel Ilium back on my To Be Read pile.


Check out more covers and another reviewer's thoughts at Comic Book Dispatch.


No comments:

Post a Comment