Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Knott's Berry Farm: A Real Bargain


When I was growing up, my family often took me to Knott's Berry Farm during the summer.  It was one of their favorite places, and it soon became mine.  My grandparents would tell me about "the good old days," how the park had developed, and how they had sometimes met with and spoken with the park's founders, Walter and Cordelia Knott.  It wasn't that they could claim close friendship with the couple: it was simply that the two were approachable, and involved in the running of the amusement park they had started.

Knott's Berry Farm wasn't conceived as an amusement park.  Instead, it started as a berry stand.  Later, due to economic necessity, Cordelia started serving chicken dinners.  These became so popular that a restaurant was built, and then various amusements were fashioned, so as to entertain those waiting in line for their food.  

Back then, I didn't care about the park's history: all I was interested in was the rides.  But I had to choose my amusements carefully, as we purchased coupon books, and you only got one kind of coupon.  As my grandparents never made much money, cost was always an important consideration for them.  They bemoaned the fact that they had to pay an entry fee, even if they didn't go on a single ride.  For them, just being there was special.  They didn't mind paying for a few rides if they took me, or accompanied my parents, but they always worried about expenses, and "Prices are so much higher than they used to be" was a common theme.  So sometimes, my family would go there, and I'd only get to go on one or two rides.  (Needless to say, those weren't my favorite visits).  But the fewer rides you took, the longer your coupon books lasted, which meant stretching your dollars, and more trips to the park.









As I was going through some of my grandmother's old papers the other day, I came across the remnants of these old coupon books.  Finding them reminded me of those happy times, and made me reflect on how much things had changed.  Back then, a child's Super Bonanza Coupon book cost $7, and included main gate admission and eleven adventures.  An adult's book was $6.75.  Currently, Knott's Berry Farm charges $26.99 for a child or senior's one-day admission (if you purchase online), and $39.99 for teens and adults.  Of course, you get more rides now, you'd expect to pay more than six or seven dollars, right?  But according to Dave Manuel's Inflation Calculator, $7 in 1975 money equates to $30.43 in today's money.  So maybe admission prices haven't risen so much after all.


It's inevitable that prices will rise with time.  But sometimes, it's nice to discover that you can actually spend less, and get far more for your money, than you would have over thirty years ago.  Now, if only I could trade in my old Super Bonanza tickets for a one-day admission...

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links
The History of Knott's Berry Farm
Inflation Calculator
Knott's Berry Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment