Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Free Comic Book Madness


When my wife first told me that last Saturday was Free Comic Book Day, I have to admit, I was dubious.  It sounded like one of those things, like Get a Free Kiss from Stan Lee Day, that at first you think sounds pretty terrific, but then…uh, perhaps that wasn’t the best example.  Anyway, I figured the shops would stack up a few old comics, and the first few customers through the door would snatch them up.  But my wife, it seems, is the true believer in this household.  She roused me in the morning with the smell of frying bacon, and by the time I made it up for breakfast, she’d cooked an omelet too.  She even served up her homemade jelly-filled donuts to give us strength for the day ahead.

"Iiiiiiiiittttttttt'ssssssss bacon!"

"Mmm, Jelly Donuts!"

Our comic book shop is located in an industrial park, far away from the busy street, and usually we just drive up to it and park.  But on Saturday, we had to hunt for a space as soon as we turned off the street, and joined the people walking at least the length of a city block to get there.  Man, was I ever glad my wife had fed me a nourishing breakfast!

Outside the store, there were gazebos galore, and under them everything a person could want to celebrate Free Comic Book Day properly.  People sold those trade paperback comic book compilations, and manga books, and toys both old and new.  Others spun pizza dough with their hands before baking them in portable ovens, or served up such delicacies as hot dogs and chili fries.  Adults had dressed up in the uniforms of their favorite superheroes, and children got their faces painted at one of the booths.  My wife particularly admired a woman’s R2-D2 sundress.  And it wasn’t just the readers joining in for the fun: they even had industry professionals there.  If you wanted, you could even buy a membership to an upcoming comic book convention. 

Amid so much activity, the crowd hadn’t forgotten what the real purpose of the event was.  They swarmed around the tables of free sample issues of new titles from various publishers, as well as a table where older comic books awaited them.  We picked up a few that caught our eye, and then joined the line to get into the store.

A line into the store?  What was with that?  Why couldn’t we just walk in like usual?

By the time we reached the door, another free comic had made its way into our bag, thanks to a comic book writer, who, dressed up in a beige Victorian suit and matching top hat, practically thrust it into my hands.  (I decided not to suggest that he upgrade his monocle for a contact lens.  Hey, whatever helps him write his stories best, right?)  A woman inside the door taped our bag shut, and then we waded through the crowded rooms into the back, where all the boxes of old comic books were half-price.

Half-price!

"Can you say, 'swag?'"

Nearly-swagged.

An hour later, we returned to our car, our bags bulging with comic books both free and purchased.  (Should I say purchased, when, price-wise, they nearly gave those away too?)  The latter included some missing issues “Conan The Barbarian” and “Kull The Destroyer” that I needed for my collections.  The shop owner even gave us a little of the history of the Hulk-verse, concerning the origins of She-Hulk, Red Hulk, and Red She-Hulk.  Oh, so much comic book lore still to learn, to read, and to enjoy!  It could only have happened on Free Comic Book Day, which all in all, I must say, is an infinitely better idea than Get a Free Kiss from Stan Lee Day.

I’m shaking my head right now.  I mean…uh, how do I come up with ideas like that?  Stan Lee, I love you, man, but really!  I suppose, if I had to, I’d kiss She-Hulk.  But only if she was in a good mood.

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment