Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Star Trek: The Cage

As far back as I can remember, Star Trek has played a part in my life.  As a child, my friends and I acted out adventures of Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and other members of the crew.  As a teen, I stayed up late to watch reruns, read tie-in novels, and eagerly anticipated each movie.  Today, while I still read related books and novels, and periodically watch the movies, my interest in this classic franchise is largely centered around enjoying DVDs of the original series.

On a recent viewing, I was struck by how deeply layered many of the stories were.  Also, while many underlying story concepts addressed 1960s issues, those topics spoke equally well to contemporary issues.  The depth of the storytelling, combined with the contributions of the actors and the production crew, have given birth to more than just another TV show.  Whether people dress up in the costumes of their favorite characters, learn to speak Klingon, or simply enjoy the books and DVDs, the show has taken on a life of its own.  No doubt this is the reason for the time-tested adage: Star Trek Lives. 

Some may idolize Captain Kirk for his passion, his daring, and his dedication to his crew.  Others may identify with Mr. Spock’s strivings to subdue his emotions and base each day’s decisions upon logic.  Some may even have pursued careers due to the portrayal of Uhura or McCoy or Scotty.  Whatever you personally get from a series made nearly half-a-century ago, I hope you find inspiration in my upcoming entries based upon The Cage, the first episode ever made of the ever-powerful, ever-relevant Star Trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment