Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Daleks Check Out The SR-71 Blackbird


Salt: Are they asleep?
Pepper: It sounds like it.
Salt: We need to be sure.
Pepper: All right, I’ll check. 

A Pause

Pepper: The humans’ eyes are closed, and their breathing is deep.
Salt: Okay, turn on the light.




Salt: Why do you think Master and Mistress were so mesmerized by the 
SR-71 Blackbird?
Pepper: Because, as they said, it was able to do surveillance over foreign countries at higher altitudes than other reconnaissance aircraft.  And if the inhabitants detected it, and decided to launch a missile, it was so fast it could outfly it.
Salt: Yes, but they saw all kinds of unique aircraft at Edwards Air Force Base, including the Bell X-1, the experimental rocket plane with which Chuck Yeager first broke the sound barrier.  This was the only one they bought a toy of.  In fact, they never buy airplane toys.  What made the SR-71 so special they felt they had to buy this as a memento of their visit?
Pepper: Well, isn’t it obvious? 
Salt: No.
Pepper: It’s black and sleek, just like me.
Salt: Just for that, I get to ride it first.



Pepper: That’s not fair.  I’m the one who checked to make sure they were asleep. 
Salt: Fine.  You can ride second.
Pepper: Oh, okay.



Pepper: Hey, wait a second.  That’s not fair!
Salt: Shh!  We don’t want to wake Master and Mistress.
Pepper: Then let me have my turn. 

Salt finishes her maiden flight.

Salt: I tell you what.  There’s not much room on this desk.  Let’s move down, and I’ll give you the first ride across the floor.
Pepper: Yeah, okay.  You can be Alan Shephard, and I’ll be Gordon Cooper.
Salt: There’s no way I’m giving you that long a ride, Mister. 
Pepper: Then I’m John Glenn to your Alan Shephard. 
Salt: If we’re just comparing the length of their Mercury flights…fine.



Pepper: Whoo-hoo!  Hey, this is fun!
Salt: Shh!  You’ll wake Master and Mistress!
Pepper: Don’t be such a soggy Dalek!  Whoo-hoo!  Watch me fly!
Salt: Quiet!  I just heard a thud.  Oh no, that sounds like a groan.  Master must be hurt!
Pepper: Well, what can we do about it?
Salt: Think!  What do you think will happen next?
Pepper: Uh…you’re right.  We’d better get back up to the desk.
Salt: Yes, and quickly, before they turn on the lights. 
Pepper: It would have to happen during my flight!
Salt: Shh!  They’ll be more flights later.  Now get a move on, before they see us out of place!

Editor's note: This event takes place shortly before blog post "The Dangers of Modern Travel."  

No comments:

Post a Comment