Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Rare Conan Coins: Part 2


When my wife and I visit a military facility, such as Edwards Air Force Base, we sometimes pick up a souvenir coin.  We do so not because we believe it will increase in value, but as a reminder of a pleasant visit to an important and interesting place.  As these attractive coins are mass-produced, we feel no anxiety about displaying them prominently in our house.  On the other hand, if I had one of those Conan coins, I’d have to keep it in a safe, or at a bank in a safety deposit box.  I’d probably only look at it every once in awhile, and derive little pleasure from doing so.  

Front of Souvenir Coin


Back of Souvenir Coin
Warning: Coins in picture shown larger than they really appear!

Recently, I picked up an old, yellowed copy of “Conan The Barbarian” Vol. 1 Issue #39 at my local comic book store.  In “The Dragon From The Inland Sea,” Conan meets a king and his niece who have recently fled their city.  The dragon is a monstrous, prehistoric crocodile, summoned by a sorcerer periodically to attack the king’s city of Keshaan.  At first, the king acquiesces to the sorcerer’s demands, and sacrifices a pretty maiden each time to stave off the dragon.  But when the sorcerer demands that he sacrifice his niece, the king flees his precious city, leaving it under the rule of the villainous sorcerer.  

It’s a familiar plot, yet Roy Thomas’ writing (and John Buscema’s artwork) kept me turning the pages as Conan helps the king and his niece retake Keshaan, fight the sorcerer, and vanquish the dragon.  Thomas even ended the story with a real kicker, revealing on the final page the true nature of the relationship between the king, his niece, and the villainous sorcerer.  The story serves as a shining example why Hallmark Minting Service selected Conan--who had only featured in Marvel Comics for three years at this point--for their “Big Three” coins.

For those who collect such souvenirs, and are fortunate enough to own one of those rare Conan coins, I’m happy for them.  But personally (and monetary issues aside), I’m far happier to have “The Dragon From The Inland Sea” in my collection. 

Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll go read the story again.

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links

No comments:

Post a Comment