Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Our Texas Longhorns

We enjoyed driving through the gently rolling hills and valleys of the Texas hill country.  Outside the cities, we regularly spotted cows, horses, sheep, and even llamas.  But due to intervening fencing, trees and bushes, and curves in the road, taking photographs as we drove proved impossible.  

One day, after we stopped by the store for a few supplies, we noticed a few cows by the road.  I asked my wife to stop, grabbed my camera, and walked over to the wire fence, hoping none of the residents noticed me.  ("Hey buddy, get away from the cows!")  The sun shone down so brightly I had trouble seeing what I was getting on the camera.  But I knew that, at least, I had gotten a few pictures of cows for this trip.

Note: We like cows.
(Just in case you were wondering).

This is my favorite shot.

Each day, we downloaded our photographs onto our computers, in case something happened to our cameras.  My wife and I looked at the cow pictures, and enjoyed them.  But it wasn't until I got home that I really looked closely at them.  When I zoomed in, I noticed a young calf nestled beside this bull.

"I'm watching you...buddy."

And I saw this other calf drinking milk, as its mother got on with her eating, in order to produce more milk for her young.  

"Now, which udder was the chocolate milk again?"

Of course, I already had a photograph of a Texas Longhorn.  

"Hi, my name's Rusty.  Can you guess why?"

We saw this guy at the Austin Zoo, and I must admit, he's rather cute. If we lived in Texas, we might even buy one of his breed to take home.  I imagine he'd look good in our yard, even if he didn't keep the lawn in shape for us like his larger and hungrier relations.  

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment