Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Rolling With The Changes

Supreme Dalek: What?  That's all you can cough up?
Come on, you can do better than that!

For a while now, I've been wondering how my Pages can best serve my readers.  Unlike Posts, which appear in the Blog Archive under the current month, and then disappear when the next month begins, Pages remain until they are taken down.  It seems to me that the Pages (located on the top right-hand side) should summarize the ongoing life of the blog, and help the reader find Posts most suited to his or her interest.  While my blog is constantly evolving, from time to time I have focused on series or themes that have taken a number of Posts to cover.  So I decided to begin this update with three themes close to my heart: my journey through James Herriot's world last summer, my visit to Stan Lee's Comikaze last fall, and the recent renewal of my love for comic books.

My visit to Yorkshire provided welcome insight into the area where James Herriot lived and worked, and enhanced my understanding of the veterinarian and author.  Some posts have touched people more than others.  Several entries in my series on Ritz Cinema in Thirsk, where he and Helen spent their second date, proved initially popular, and resided on my Top Ten Posts for a long time.  Others, such as "The Famous Woodworker of Kilburn," have recently been discovered by readers.  I'm currently watching season three of "All Creatures Great and Small" on DVD, and each episode brings back pleasant memories of our visit to that region of England.  I never touched upon all the aspects of what I saw and learned there, or explored the intersection between the author and his stories as much as I had intended, but the Page "James Herriot's World" contains a representative sampling of that series.  If you've been considering a trip to England, and are looking for meaningful places to visit, perhaps this Page will be of some benefit to you.  And if you live in England, love James Herriot's stories, and have never visited these areas, well, now's your chance!

Stan Lee's Comikaze was a special convention, one outside my normal experience.  It opened my eyes to other ways in which people interact with the Fiction (particularly Science Fiction and Fantasy) they love.  Perhaps you'll find a new avenue to explore in my new Page "Stan Lee's Comikaze."  At the very least, you'll get an idea of what the convention has to offer, should you decide to attend this year's event in Los Angeles.  

Finally, I've renamed my "Comics" Page "Comics Old & New."  It contains links to most, if not all, of my Posts on comics that I've found thought-provoking.  Check this page from time to time, as I plan on updating it extensively in the coming months, particularly when it come to new (or at least fairly recent) comics.

I'm still uncertain what to do with some of the other Pages, particularly the one devoted to "Authors."  (That one in particular is why I started this blog, and literature is still my first and best love when it comes to Fiction).   I'm considering dropping some Pages, and adding others.  If you have any suggestions on Pages you would like to see, or would find helpful, please let me know, either as a comment or an email.  Lacking feedback, I'll continue as best I can, following the Supreme Dalek's admonition.  Yes, I can do more with my Pages section.  Yes, I can keep them up-to-date and relevant.  Yes, I can do better than I've done in the past.  And I will!

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment