Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Doctor Who, Ling, and the No-Win Situation

At the end of “The Dalek Invasion of Earth,” the Doctor’s granddaughter Susan decides to remain behind in London to marry David Cameron (No, not the present day Prime Minister) and rebuild the city.  In the next story, “The Rescue,” the Doctor, Barbara, and Ian meet Vicki, one of two survivors of an Earth ship that crashed on the planet Dido.  The Doctor invites Vicki to join them, and in the following adventure, the Tardis lands on Roman-era Earth.  

The travelers settle down for a welcome respite in a country villa currently unoccupied by its owners.  But trouble soon disturbs their rest.  While shopping at the local market, Vicki refers to London.  Barbara corrects her: in this time, the city is called Londinium.  The woman working the stall informs a slave trader that the women are not locals, and therefore unlikely to be missed.  The trader’s men attack the villa at night, and capture Ian and Barbara.  Ian is pressed into service working the oars aboard a ship, while Barbara ends up in the slave markets of Rome, where a servant of Nero’s purchases her to work in the palace.  

The Rulers of Londinium
While I have never been stripped of my rights, others have sometimes placed me in a no-win situation: either I must act as they desire, or I will be perceived as irresponsible, rude, and “not a team player.”  If I express my frustration over the situation to them, I will be seen as “unreasonable.”  Thus, in private, I rant about the injustice of the situation, the actions I will be compelled to perform, and the insensitivity of the person(s) who placed me in this no-win situation.  

In Dr. Gregory Benford’s novel The Stars in Shroud, the protagonist Ling tells the story from his perspective.  As a deeply religious man, as one who spends time meditating and seeking insights, the manner in which he relates his adventures often rings in the ear like the teachings of a wise old monk, such as this: 

“The difference between a conviction and a prejudice is that you can explain a conviction without getting angry.  This is a dead give-away in negotiations; if your opponent flares his nostrils unconsciously before speaking, he probably isn’t going to abide by any compromise settlement.”

When I rant and rave over the injustice perpetuated upon me, am I reacting based upon my convictions or my prejudices?  The two words are similar; their differences not easily discerned.  It seems to me that prejudice is irretrievably linked with undesirable aspects of the human condition such as preconceived notions, hostility, and causing damage or injury.  I certainly want to be known for my convictions, not my prejudices.  

Knowing how I feel when I am forced to perform a service I find undesirable makes me wonder how often I place others in a similar situation.  Often this is difficult to know, as others feel a similar reluctance to appear unreasonable or “not a team player.”  Today’s reliance on cell phones, texting, emails, and instant messaging only make it more difficult to discern others’ reactions.  Only through observing others directly can I observe the nonverbal communication the other person voluntarily (or involuntarily) transmits.  And then only if I am looking for it, instead of waiting for the other to finish what he is saying before I can then respond with what I wish to say.
A memorial to a Roman Centurion

While no-win situations are unavoidable, I can seek to control my reactions to them.  Giving way to anger and rage doesn’t help me become the person I wish to be.  Instead, it only builds on any preconceived notions I have about the person who imprisoned me in the situation, and these, of course, can eventually result in hostility, or even inflicting injury upon someone who would never knowingly hurt me.  

Similarly, I must not neglect Ling’s second sentence.  If I find myself in a position where I am asking others to do something on my (or a group’s) behalf, I must make every effort to ensure that I am not placing them in the same no-win situations that I so despise.

Life is difficult enough without enslaving others to our wishes, and compelling them to perform tasks they find undesirable.

The Doctor Who story “The Romans” is available on DVD from the BBC.  Dr. Gregory Benford’s novel, The Stars in Shroud, is available in public libraries, and wherever fine, used science fiction books are sold.  
Related Dragon Cache entries:

No comments:

Post a Comment