Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Your Personal Altar: Part 1


In the beginning of Gregory Benford’s novel The Stars in Shroud, Ling travels toward the planet Regeln.  He does not know yet know that he will find the colonists have been infected with the Quarn plague.  But, as a starship captain, he worries about entering a war zone.  Fleet has already lost many ships.  His crew worries also: their ship has been hastily converted for war, and they have yet to see conflict.  In order to calm them, he orders them together for Sabal, the communal experience that holds their culture together.  Dr. Benford describes Ling’s state of mind:

“I looked across the small cabin at my kensdai altar.  I knew I was losing control of myself too often and not directing the conversation the way I wanted.  I focused on the solid, dark finish of the wood that framed the altar, feeling myself merge with the familiarity of it.  Focus down, let the center flow outward.”

Those familiar with my entries on The Stars in Shroud will remember how the Quarn plague destroys the ability of Sabal to unite humanity in the way it had before.  After Ling recovers from his fight with this devastating psychological disease, he travels to the planet Veden, where amid his duties Fleet Commander, he searches for a way to connect with his spirituality, and regain the link with others that group worship promises.  Because he perseveres, eventually he finds a new cult, the Lengen, whose teachings and practices fill the void inside him.  Sadly, in the waning portion of the novel, Ling discovers that the Master is using him for his own purposes.  He is thus forced to sever his ties with the Lengen for the good of those around him.   

In “Our Need for Interdependence,” I referenced the paradigm hypothesized by Steven R. Covey in his book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  Mr. Covey suggests that the path of personal growth should take one from a position of dependence, through independence, to interdependence.  One who is dependent upon others is limited in what he can achieve, and valued for little more than his abilities.  One who is independent may feel more at peace with himself, but his achievements are limited by his lack of interconnectedness with those around him.  (Worse, as Ian and Barbara discover in the Doctor Who story “The Romans,” few people will fight to protect the rights of the independent).  Only when one achieves Mr. Covey’s proposed state of interdependence can he be valued, and fully engage with the rest of humanity to accomplish great things.  

As I mentioned in “A New Guru”, I traveled down a similar spiritual road to Ling.  When I decided that I could no longer find fulfillment and group-connection in the Nazarene Church, I entered a period of searching that eventually led me to the Anglican Church.  John Wesley, whose teachings were formative to Nazarene doctrine, never left the Anglican Church, but his followers formed the Methodist Church after his death.  This meant that I wasn’t entering entirely foreign territory, but traveling across a bridge that linked the two denominations.  

For several years, I found fulfillment in Anglicanism.  Then, as I had once left the Nazarenes behind, I was now forced to abandon my new Church.  For not only did I fail to connect with the people in any of the parishes I attended, but after the novelty of the new experience had worn off, the priests’ messages no longer resonated with me.  Nor could I sense "The Other" in the communal worship services.

As Ling would discover, the quest for spiritual fulfillment sometimes takes you into completely unanticipated territory.

This blog entry will continue in Your Personal Altar: Part 2.

Related Dragon Cache entries

No comments:

Post a Comment