Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Getting Up Off The Couch


This morning, we woke early and went to the gym.  But I was just going through the motions: my spirit wasn’t really into it.  My wife tried to perk me up by winking at me, smiling, and making a few anecdotes.  After awhile, she brought a smile to my face.  Yet all I wanted to do, the whole time I worked out, was to come home, sit on the couch, and watch “Hunter” with breakfast. 

Finally, I was on the couch.  My wife had left for work.  I was eating my breakfast.  My food tasted good, but I wasn't really enjoying it.  All I wanted to do was sink back into the couch and watch the TV.

When the episode was over, I gave in to temptation.  “Fine,” I said.  “I’ll put my plate away, get another glass of water, another can of soda, and watch another episode.  Maybe after a little more rest, and some more caffeine, I’ll be ready to work.”  Then a strange thing happened.  I got up, filled my water glass, tossed my paper plate, and rinsed my small fruit bowl and utensils.  In the background, my TV repeated the background music from the “Hunter” DVD episode menu.  Yet, suddenly, I could envision being productive today.  So I walked back into the living room, turned off the TV, and went to brush my teeth.  

I don’t know what this day holds in store for me.  I don’t know if my mind will conk out on me once I sit down to work on my novel.  I have no idea if I’ll actually be productive or not.  But I’ll never know what I can accomplish today, if I don’t get my butt off the couch and try.

Hoping for creativity,
Dragon Dave

Related Dragon Cache entries

No comments:

Post a Comment