Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Portable Desks


Due to various personal issues, my office has grown cluttered in recent years.  When I bought my MacBook Pro, I suddenly had no need to go in there anymore, and began working at the dining room table.  Without waging the daily battle to keep it down, the clutter only grew worse.  

As it turns out, our dining room chairs were not designed for all-day use.  My wife bought me a seat cushion, and while that helped, I still ended up with marks on my back from where the scrolled wood pressed into my skin.  And my trapezius muscles grew tight, which in turn gave me headaches, as I gazed down at the screen all day.

Several years ago, I picked up a Star Wars: The Clone Wars lapboard, and used it to eat meals on the couch while we watched TV.  I found myself using the lapboard for not only food, but also for my Mac, and even when writing by hand.  My wife later expressed an interest in one, but when we sought them out, we couldn’t find any in the store.  Sure, there were more expensive models, some made of wood, and others of plastic.  We found more elaborate ones, with drawers and slots for holding things, and even electrical sockets and cooling fans for laptops, but not a simple style of lapboard with an attached cushion that she wanted.  

Meanwhile, I was beginning to wish I had another, as I work in different areas of the house (as the mood dictates).  The paper covering my lapboard can get a little sticky at times, and I don’t want to use harsh cleansers on it, as I wish to preserve Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin for as long as possible.  This also became a reason to find another lapboard, as I didn’t want to get my writing book or laptop sticky.

A cozy spot to await (and channel) inspiration.

The other day, we were walking through a store we don’t usually shop in, and we spotted several styles of lapboards that we liked.  My wife picked up one; I picked up two.  Now she can set her dinner plate on a board instead of a pillow, and I’ve got two more lapboards scattered around the house.  One resides in the bedroom, the other by a comfortable chair in the living room.  

Someday I’d like to take back my office, rid myself of the clutter, and make the office useable again.  But until that day comes, I’ve got three portable desks, a number of comfortable work areas, and best of all, I’ve still got Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin to keep me company while I eat. 

Oh yeah, and don’t forget Ahsoka Tano.  She may only be Anakin’s apprentice (or, if you prefer, his Padawan learner), but she’s important too.

Working wherever I’m most comfortable,
Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment