Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, November 12, 2012

The Return of The Hobbit: Part 2

On a mission to collect something precious.

As you may have guessed from the previous post, I’m eagerly looking forward to seeing how Peter Jackson will translate J. R. R. Tolkien’s novel The Hobbit into not one, not two, but three movies (or, if you prefer, a trilogy).  In this regard, I side with Ian McKellen, the actor who played Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings films, and will do so again in The Hobbit movies.  In a short interview for Entertainment Weekly magazine, the interviewer mentions Peter Jackson’s recent decision to expand the story from two films to three.  “Why not four?” McKellen responds.  “Why not five?”  I agree with you, Ian.  After reading The Hobbit, I always wanted to experience more adventures with Bilbo Baggins, and I probably always will.  

Until the movie comes out, the Denny’s restaurant chain has given me a new way to celebrate J. R. R. Tolkien’s novel.  Through their The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey menu, one can eat a number of tasty dinners.  My wife enjoyed Frodo’s Pot Roast Skillet the other night, while I dug into the Dwarves’ Turkey and Dressing Dinner.  While Frodo never appeared in The Hobbit, the character proved so popular in The Lord of the Rings films that Peter Jackson found a way to include him in his adaptations of the earlier novel.  Of course, there are plenty of dwarves in The Hobbit, more than feature in The Lord of the Rings.  Whether they would have selected the turkey dinner, I cannot answer.  I suspect they would have enjoyed either selection.  (Then, after devouring every morsel on their plates, they would have pounded the table with their knives and forks and demanded seconds!)  

As an added bonus, everyone who orders off the special menu gets a pack of playing cards.  Each pack contains two cards, and a coupon for another meal at Denny’s.  Now there’s only one problem.  We’ve got four of the cards, and we need another eight to complete the set.  Perhaps, before they run out of cards, I should run off to Denny's and try Gandalf’s Gobble Melt.  Or perhaps I need something heartier, like The Ring Burger.  Yes, that sounds like just what I need.  The Ring Burger would be so…precious.

Dragon Dave

1 comment:

  1. I love the Hobbit Air Safety Video at http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/air-new-zealand-the-hobbit-safety-briefing/201sjr5w?q=The+Hobbit&rel=msn&from=en-us_msnhpvidmod&form=msnrll

    ReplyDelete