Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Three Reasons Why I Like WALL-E

WALL-E: He's not just for children
(and overweight starship captains).

1.  WALL-E doesn’t worry about his effectiveness.  He doesn’t get bored with his job.  He doesn’t give up, even after all the rest of his coworkers have gone away.  He just keeps on doing his job.  In this way, he remains relevant, and makes a positive impact on his world.

2.  When WALL-E finds something that intrigues him, from a plastic spork to a videotape of a forgotten musical to the case of a diamond ring, he takes it home with him.  By constantly finding new things to study and enjoy, he remains excited by all that life has to offer.

3. WALL-E doesn’t worry about appearances.  He doesn't even spend much time cleaning himself.  He acts to remain functional, and that’s good enough for him.  In his home, he arranges everything, from his necessities to his treasures, for utility and ease of use, not to impress others.  He orchestrates a system that works for him, and this keeps him productive and invigorated.  

In my own life, I always have lots of things I want to do.  But instead of just doing them, I often take too long debating the effectiveness of carrying out given actions.  Or I grow bored with a given task, and shift to something less important.  I also spend too much time worrying about what others think of me, or how they will regard my work.  I need to keep focused upon my goals, and keep working toward their completion, regardless of how others may judge me or my accomplishments. 

Others may see him as a rundown, obsolete robot, or merely an animated character in a children’s movie, but WALL-E inspires me to strive harder, and to be more comfortable with myself.  In so doing, he reminds me of the person I wish to be.

If you've watched the movie lately, you might take a moment to contemplate what WALL-E might have to say to you.  (If you cannot think of anything, I can only suggest that you watch the movie again).   

Dragon Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment