Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Friday, April 12, 2013

New Friends for Pocket


A Guest Blog by Dragon Dave’s Wife

Pocket is our smallest Dalek, being the prototype and knitted with a thinner yarn and smaller needles.  Lately, Pocket has been asking for more friends his size.  Meanwhile, I was wondering how I could give my Daleks flatter bottoms so they could stand better.

The other day, I came across a packet of Fender Washers (size 3/16 x 1 ¼) in the garage.  So I got out the Dalek pattern, some yarn and started to knit. Denim was my first Dalek with a washer for a base, but as I wanted to share the process with you, I had to make another friend for Pocket, right?

(Note: This is an adaptation of my Pocket Dalek Knitting Pattern.  You can find the link at the end of this post).

The following is a picture blog on the process of knitting a Dalek.

I gather my materials and pattern.

The base is created and the first rounds have been started.  
This Dalek will be a Strategist Dalek: blue with grey dots.

Pocket and Denim watch the progress
as I knit the pattern to the neck of the Dalek.
    

At the neck –where I perl to bring out the flares, I wanted the flares be grey.  
To achieve this, change the color the row before the perl row.  Then
  knit a row of grey, and then perl a row of grey, before knitting a row of blue.

With the body completed, I now need to add the Eye, Arm and Gun.  
For these smaller Daleks, I changed the pattern slightly 
for the eye and the arm,
 in that I knitted one less row of Icord.  
This kept the eye and the arm in proportion.  
Otherwise, they seemed too long.

Pocket reminds me to place the washer in before sewing.
(Note: if your Dalek is for a child, or someone who may throw your Dalek, 
you may not want to put in a washer).

Blue is completed and ready to join Pocket and Denim.

Pocket, Blue, and Denim: happy Daleks.

Dragon Dave's Wife

Related Dragon Cache entries

No comments:

Post a Comment