Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Friday, August 9, 2013

How Spider-Man Inspired The Daleks


Rex: I think you need to turn another page, sir.
Supreme Dalek: Hold on a minute.  First, I want to read this story about Spider-Man.
Rex: But I've got to find out what happens to Red Sonja!  She was just...ooh, Boxing!




Rex: Say, the Champ reminds me of Robert E. Howard.
Supreme Dalek: I know I'm going to regret asking this, but why?
Rex: Well, he loved Boxing, didn't he?  Wasn't he an amateur boxer?  
Supreme Dalek: I gather he enjoyed the sport, and incorporated it into his fitness regime.  





Rex: Uh, excuse me, sir, but didn't Robert E. Howard also write stories about Boxing?
Supreme Dalek: Yes, I believe he wrote more stories about Boxing than about Conan, King Kull, and Red Sonja combined.  Now, can we get back to "Spider-Man and the Champ?"
Rex: Sorry, sir.




Rex: Speaking of Boxing, Michael Palin mentions in his Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years that "Jabberwocky," the film he made with Terry Gilliam, actually out-performed "Rocky" in Spanish cinemas in 1979.
Supreme Dalek: Okay, I get the Robert E. Howard reference, as Roy Thomas' portrayal of Red Sonja was inspired by a character in one of Howard's historical stories, but how is Michael Palin relevant to what we're reading?



Rex: Oh, I just thought it was a cool fact.  I mean, we're talking about one of the most beloved and important Boxing movies of all time, versus....  I mean, it is interesting, right?



Supreme Dalek: All right, way to go, Spidey!  
Rex: I agree, sir.  The story had engaging characters, a short but well-orchestrated plot, and--
Supreme Dalek: Would you stop trying to impress me?  It's getting on my nerves!
Rex: Uh...right, sir.  Sorry, sir.
Supreme Dalek: Yes, well...you want to find out what happens to Red Sonja, don't you?
Rex: Yes, please.



Rex: Wait!
Supreme Dalek: What now?
Rex: I just had a brilliant idea!




Rex: There's only three left.  You don't think Master and Mistress would miss one, do you?
Supreme Dalek: Not a chance.  

Rex & Supreme Dalek

Related Internet Links
To learn what happens to Red Sonja in Issue #2, check out the summary at Marvel Wikia.

No comments:

Post a Comment