Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Three Shining Moments

Some fans of science fiction and fantasy have never attended a convention, while others cons as a way of life, traveling to and attending as many as they can voraciously take in.  Some only attend the big ones, such as Worldcon or World Fantasy, while others specialize in niche cons devoted solely to particular aspects of fandom such as comic books, anime, or media properties such as Star Trek.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, the first one I mark on each year’s calendar is Condor, and it was those three days of programming that I enjoyed this last weekend.  Some years it may be better attended than others, sometimes a Guest of Honor (as well as other guests) lends a particular flavor to the panel discussions that particularly inspires, while other years it is another aspect of the convention that I walk away remembering most strongly.  This year’s Condor offered three highlights, pleasant and inspiring moments that I am sure I will remember for years to come.

Steven Spielberg is not only a great director: he has become an icon within the TV and movie industry.  The second movie I saw in a theater, one that I subsequently viewed many, many times, was Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  Sadly, I could not say that I derived the same level of enjoyment from his remake of H. G. Wells’ classic story War of the Worlds.  So I am grateful to the San Diego Vintage SF Society for screening the 1950s version on Friday afternoon.  This movie had it all: humor, likable characters, great action, and of course, a love story.  It also showed a respect for the sustaining role that Faith plays for people experiencing turmoil and crisis.  I am sure the new version has its advocates, but for me, the earlier vision revealed humanity at its best, which is how I prefer to view our species.

That is not to say that the collective actions of humanity are always laudable.  One of the issues we face right now is the rapid transformation of our planet known as Global Warming.  Dr. Gregory Benford, this year’s Guest of Honor, summarized some of the geo-engineering studies that he has been involved with in the past few years.  I know there is a great deal of debate out there regarding how much the level of warming is due to human activities versus the planet’s natural processes, but one of the arguments that he made is not a scientific one, but is Biblical in origin.  While every country is scrambling for new ways to generate more power for its citizens, we, the populace and the government, must also remember that we are the stewards of this planet: it is up to us to do what we can to care for our home: not only for our own use, not only for future generations of people, but for all life which now or will dwell upon it.  In a very real way, we are the present day Adam and Eve. 

After attending movie screenings, perusing the dealer room and art show, and sitting through various panel discussions, I was looking for something different.  So I welcomed the visit of Herb Jefferson Jr., who played Boomer in the original Battlestar Galactica TV series, to Condor.  Instead of delivering a prepared speech, he answered any and all questions from the audience, and proved by far the most personable speaker of the weekend.  The answers, anecdotes, and the laughter flew thick and fast, and he always made sure he satisfied the curiosity that generated each particular question.  As I look now on the photograph he autographed for me: I cannot help but smile, remembering the warm dialogue we shared concerning a show that marked not a high point in his acting career, but in mine as a young fan.

A screening of a 1950s movie.  A discourse on Geo-Engineering.  A dialogue with the actor who portrayed a beloved TV character.  I would never had guessed that these three moments would be the ones that I look back on most fondly, but that is what I love about Condor: it always surprises.  I’ve already purchased my membership for next year, and look forward to what that 2012 con will offer up.  How about you?  Will you join us for next year’s convention?

No comments:

Post a Comment