Cookie Warning

Warning: This blog may contain cookies. Just as cookies fresh out of the oven may burn your mouth, electronic cookies can harm your computer. Visit all kitchens and blogs (yes, including this one) with care.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Greg Bear: Impressions of Frank Herbert



Perhaps the novel that touched me most deeply, and will forever remain most important to me, is Dune by Frank Herbert.  His son Brian wrote a biography, Dreamer of Dune, which covered numerous aspects of Frank’s life, and shone a light on Brian’s difficult relationship with his father.  While Frank Herbert might have been conflicted in other areas of his life, his love of nature really comes through in Brian’s narrative.

At the World Fantasy Convention held in San Diego a few years ago, I kept on spotting author Greg Bear.  Unlike most of the big name authors, who rarely appeared except when they spoke in panel discussions, Bear mixed with the crowd, attended panels, frequented the con suite, and spoke freely with everyone.  As I always wish to speak with authors about their work, I tried to remember those stories of his I had read.  But it had been several years since I had read one, and I simply couldn’t think up an interesting question.

On the last day, we attended a final panel discussion in which three artists participated.  Who should sit in front of me but Greg and Astrid Bear!  Now Astrid is the daughter of Poul Anderson, and I read quite a few of her father’s novels in my teens.  Suddenly I remembered that Poul Anderson, Jack Vance, and Frank Herbert had been close friends, and had even built a houseboat together.  Suddenly, I had my question to ask.

After the discussion, I asked Greg and Astrid about Frank Herbert.  At first they deferred, saying they really didn’t know him well.  But they must have seen that the question mattered to me, and both strained to give me what they could: their general impressions of the man.  While I didn’t learn anything radically new about Frank Herbert, I really appreciated that they took the time to expound upon the little they had to offer.   

After a few minutes, Astrid excused herself to talk with some friends, and I felt that I should ask Greg something about his own work.  I asked him why he tackled the mix of stories he did, sometimes stories wholly his own, other times ones set in worlds created by others.  He answered that question satisfactorily, but his manner changed, and I could tell that he had grown uncomfortable, so I thanked him for his time, and moved to leave.  After my wife and I had gathered our things and reached the aisle, who should stop me but Greg Bear, who spoke for several more minutes about Frank Herbert’s approach to writing, and about how important Dune had been to him as a young man. 

After the convention, I connected with his website, and sent him an email, saying he didn’t need to respond, but just thanking him again for his kindness in discussing Frank Herbert with me.  The following day I found a response in my email: “Happy to reminisce, David!  Frank had a huge impact on me as well!”

How can I go on from that?  What more remains to be said about this very talented, very successful author?  When you meet someone of his caliber, who prefers to talk about others rather than himself, who prefers to mix with readers and aspiring writers to hanging out in the bar or the green room with editors and fellow writers, who is so open and kind and giving…

Words fail me.

I can tell you that I’ve read (or reread) several of his books since then.  And while I admire him for what he has written, I admire him even more for who he is. 

Dragon Dave

Related Internet Links

No comments:

Post a Comment