Saturday, July 13, 2024

Artist Spotlight: Alice Longyu Gao

 

Here's more information on artist Alice Longyu Gao. Enjoy!



Bio: 

Born in East Asia, Alice Longyu Gao (they) is a multilingual, experimental artist and musician credited with pioneering “hyperpop.” They have a cult following and viral moments with features in Billboard, Fader, Rolling Stone, and nods from Lady Gaga. Their track “Rich Bitch Juice” was featured in Gaga's “Women of Choice” Apple Music playlist. Collaborations with Dylan Brady and Laura Les of 100 Gecs, Oli Sykes of Bring Me The Horizon, Mura Masa, among others, have marked ALG’s rise.

 

 

Alice is also recognized in the DJ space, performing at venues like the Parrish Art Museum, MOMA, and soundtracking fashion events for Acne Studios and Juicy Couture.

 

 

After starting in East Village, New York, ALG moved to Los Angeles in 2023, releasing the acclaimed EP “Let’s Hope Heteros Fail, Learn, and Retire” and going on a 34-date world tour with sold-out dates in NYC, LA, and London. Alice’s set featuring their signature live harp performance, accentuating the vibrance of their already energetic live show.

 

 

ALG’s influence extends to video games, TV, movies, anime, and AI. They were a featured artist for The Sims 4, and created original songs for Hulu’s “Love, Victor 2”. Upcoming collaborations will see features on the likes of a new Netflix original animated series (TBA).

 

 

ALG also created “Alice The Club,” a touring performance series with DJ sets from ALG, Skrillex, Dylan Brady of 100 Gecs, which established a significant international following and supports the LGBTQ+ community it attracts.

 

 

 

Quote:

 

Living in my fantasy is the foundation that nurtures my art. Crunchyroll carries anime creator and anime lover’s fantasy, I want to experience how their fantasy change their life.

 

 

NANA was part of my gay awakening that deserves more credit. Back then I started watching it just because my favorite girl told me that she was watching it, and all the other girls that followed her leadership at our school were watching it too.

 

 

The girl that I liked before her, I thought the relationship was a one-sided deep friendship. The girl that I liked after her, destroyed my life for a little while. Maybe she was my most romantic and purest pursuit, just like the bond between two Nanas in the show.

 

 

I remember one night, a drop of tear fell through my favorite girl’s cheek and I kissed it. Underneath the moonlight, she was crying for the loss of her favorite girl, and I was just standing there and listening. Cars drove past us, city noise in our little hometown, we were standing underneath a pedestrian bridge that doesn’t exist anymore. She was my idol, just like in NANA, how Ozaki Nana feels to Komatsu Nana.

No comments:

Post a Comment